Follow Blog via Email
The Pet Professional GuildThe Pet Professional Guild is a professional membership organization representing pet industry professionals who are committed to force-free training and pet care philosophies practices and methods. Pet Professional Guild Members Understand Force-Free to mean: No Shock, No Pain, No Choke, No Fear, No Physical Force, No physical Molding, No Compulsion Based Methods are employed to train or care for a pet.
Find a recent Blog
- So Tell Me What You Want, What You Really Really Want: Nine Ways Preference Testing Can Go Wrong
- Does Breed Specific Legislation Work?
- Labels and Limitations…..
- A Good Start in Life
- Dog Car Safety: Help – An Escapee!
- Cognitive Dog Training
- The Problem with Punishment
- Change Is Difficult – We Are Humans After All
- Local Enhancement and Socially Facilitated Behaviors in Dogs
- Putting More Tools in the Tool Kit
- A Lesson in Tolerance
- Body Language – Your Dog’s Native Tongue
- Service Dog Teams and Continuing Education
- Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is the Purpose of a Real Dog?
Monthly Archives: June 2017
A few weeks ago, I was part of an amazing experience — the first-ever continuing education weekend seminar for guide dog teams that included trainers and puppy raisers, as well as 80 teams. The weekend was organized by the Guiding Eyes for … Continue reading
Labeling normal dog behaviors like barking, digging, jumping up, chasing, growling and others as problems is something my colleagues and I have started seeing more often in our classes and consultations. However, typical puppy behaviors can include mouthing, housesoiling, not wanting to be alone, … Continue reading
The other day I was pondering the trend of talking about teaching “self-control” and “impulse control” in our dogs. I got to thinking about “leave it,” both the term and the behavior. I realized a couple things. First, the term “leave it” … Continue reading
Recently I persuaded a local pet supply store owner to sell me all his choke collars (at cost) and refrain from restocking them, in return for recommendations for safe body harnesses such as Perfect Fit and Balance. He was persuaded … Continue reading